The following is a basic enough recipe for fresh salsa, from Jacques Pepin’s book Fast Food My Way. It’s good stuff, but darned if your choppin’ hand isn’t sore afterwards. Blogging about it here so I have it forevermore.
- 2 cups diced (1/2 inch) tomato
- 1/4 cup finely diced jalapeño or serrano chile pepper (more or less depending on your tolerance)
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped onion, put in a sieve, rinsed under cold tap water and pat dry
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons water
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate.
Discovered via Fast Food My Way. Great book, great series.