The original host site, Starshattermods.com, succumbed to hacking and is down. Hard Light Productions, a fantastic community that grew around Freespace Open, has generously taken up hosting the Starshatter forums here. Starshatter files are hosted in this thread. I still have some of the files, please let me know in the comments if you have any trouble obtaining them.
Starshatter: The Gathering Storm is a moderately complex, moderately realistic, spaceborne military flight sim that takes place in a series of dynamic campaigns. It won’t change your life, but it ain’t bad.
- it’s not too punishing or difficult. It strives for a moderate amount of realism, but offers an optional video-gamey control scheme
- takes place in four dynamically shifting war campaigns, rather than a static set of missions or a bland open world design
- graphics and sounds are good for such a small studio, but won’t blow your entire head off
- receive promotions! Start flying fighter craft, and move upward to capital ships, even become an admiral and direct the course of the war.
- heck, it’s FREE and open source!
- fairly open to modding
- rewards come after overcoming the learning curve, about 4-6 hours, perhaps less if you’ve flown flight sims before
- a bit repetitive, a bit spare, a bit bland. It’s a quasi-military flight sim, there’s not a lot of character here.
- lack of variety in ships
- reportedly difficult and tedious to create your own missions
- no multiplayer campaign
Read on for the review, or skip to the “Getting It” section for info on how to get it!