This tin of mackerel fillets was discovered in 99 Ranch, one of a chain of Asian markets in California. It was about $2. I consumed it atop a bed of instant tapioca noodles, which came with a dehydrated vegetable seasoning packet and a sachet of XO sauce. Continue reading
The following is a basic enough recipe for fresh salsa, from Jacques Pepin’s book Fast Food My Way. It’s good stuff, but darned if your choppin’ hand isn’t sore afterwards. Blogging about it here so I have it forevermore.
- 2 cups diced (1/2 inch) tomato
- 1/4 cup finely diced jalapeño or serrano chile pepper (more or less depending on your tolerance)
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped onion, put in a sieve, rinsed under cold tap water and pat dry
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons water
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate.
Discovered via Fast Food My Way. Great book, great series.